Saturday 9 April 2011

Time for a Dave Clarke 5 reprise:)

... Good evening everybody... That´s right, its what you´ve all been waiting for... the Dave Clarke 5 reprise... hit it boys...

... yes, its that time again... the time when I have loads of fragments of things I need to catch up with so I just mash them all together in one bit one pot supper of a blog... So, shall we begin?

So RE. the times where my bits come up in the podcasts I got things on recently (see previous post), In the World Football Phone-in my bit is around 31 minutes into the phone in and in the Football Ramble my e-mail comes in around 36 minutes... so there you are, enjoy...

I forgot to mention that Sao Paulo really had bizarre and fascinating architeture... maybe it is, in itself, a bit of a metafore for the culturally mixed nature of Brazil... you´ll see grand old buildings, new buildings, 60´s buildings, arty buildings, derilict buildings, all in one look up in the city... its really strange and a hard city to place... just when you think you´ve got it sussed up pops an old art deco bank or some 70s monstrosity covered in cool graffitti... its really a big mismash of a place... I´ve heard the city even has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan...

... I´ve now learn how I cope with the language issues since I´ve been in South America... I´ve found I am a classic Englishman who can´t help just talking a bit louder if they don´t understand... and in the same way I realise when I´m a bit tired and cranky I can be easily frustrated when I don´t know what someone is saying to me... I´ll just kind of give up and mutter to myself rather loudly (and I usually swear)... I know its weird and they probably think I´ve lost my marbles but I guess its just an insight into the type of old man I will become... When I was at the bus station in Montevideo waiting for my bus to BA I remember a guy wouldn´t let me go to my bus platform and eventually scuttled to one side muttering something like, "OK well I´ll just stand over here shall I and try and guess what the bloody hell you´re saying"... I guess these are moments when I do lose my marbles a little bit... but hey, I´ve been traveling alone for 7 months(ish) its normal by this point to speak to myself a little bit...

... Watching football in Argentina was really quite bizarre, the commentators are a bit crazy... when ever any player scores they do the classic "GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL" ... but then they often turn the end of the thing into a kind of song... Rooney scored his hat-trick for united and he turned the end of his elongated-goal into something sounding like Ob-la-di... also he seemed to take a bit of a liking to Scott Parker of West Ham and his 1950s hair... but for some reason, every time he mentioned Parker he also said the name Hugh Grant... Argentinian commentators are weird ...

... I saw the weirdest vending machine in the Sao Paulo metro yesterday... it sold books... many by the depressing Philosopher Nietzsche... I´d have thought they wouldn´t want to encourage metro customers to feel that depressing philosophy with the oppertuinity to throw oneself under a metro train and all...

I really suggest non football fans switch off now for a football interlude... next time you see italic text, you´ll be free to read non football stuff:)

.... Oh and now for the boring bit... I went to another football game tonight... this evening, Palmieres v Gremio (not the big Gremio from Porto Alegre, but a different, much crapper one... I wonder if any of you people wondered if it was the "big" Gremio... probably none)... ... ... Now the national competition doesn´t start in Brazil until May and this was just a State championship game but there was a good crowd in full voice... it was a better atmosphere then the Copa Libatadores game I saw in Rio which should really be a bigger game... this game won back my faith in Brazilian football :) (I´ll put some photos and videos up soon for the football stuff and to show you this city:) ... According to the Brazilian expert who I ask the questions to on that Phone in podcast (there is really no greater authority on the Brazilian game in the British media then Tim Vickery) said that this state championship only survives because of politics within the Brazilian football association, but this game was important to the fans and they were loving it... and it was only against the bottom team... Although the home fans were awesome there was really no away support... I´ve seen no more depressing a sight then a man dressed as a bumbull bee being a mascot and trying to whip up a frenzy among 15 (yes, I counted) away fans... because I want to be a good lad I paid extra for my ticket (still only around 10 quid) so I´d sit away from the extreme fans... when I got in I saw it was just a free for all anyway and I could sit anywhere in the stadium with even the cheapest tickets... oh well... ... ... also I can see where they get all that flair in their football... they love a little trick over here... they went mental everytime anybody did a little flick and the commotion often left grown men giggling to themselves... they bloody love making the opponent looking like a bit of a mug... Palmiers´ manager is Big Phil Scolari... the man who led Brazil to the world cup in 2002... and they love him... they had about 50 kids lined up to make a tunnel for the players to walk out on to the pitch... when Filipao (which is Brazilian for Big Phil) walked out the kids literally mobbed him (although I´m not exactly sure what the literal definition of mobbing is?) ... then the players walked out and the mobbing continued... so they love a trick and an affectionate mobbing here :)

OK, I now think you´re free of most of the football bullshit;)

... ... ... anyway, my team (the home team, Palmeires) won 2-0... so my 100 % record continues... ... ... so if your team is in need of good luck, please mail me some complimentary tickets (including transport, a pie, a beer) and I´ll work my magic for your team.... ... ... looks like I´ve found my new job;)

OK, thats enough bits-and-pieces for one day...

See you soon:)

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment