Thursday 21 April 2011

... Final emotions and images:)

... So it's the last day and in exactly 10 hours I'll be taking off from Rio, destined for England... All the questions in my own mind and from people I meet are about reflection and about my next destination in life... it's complicated buisness... This won't be my last post on this blog... I always find with books and stories they can end abruptly in the final moment, without pause for reflection... I'll reflect and there'll be a epilogue (and also the credits... there are many people I need to thank... it's not like I couldn't have done this trip without many of you, its just that it wouldn't have been the same without you:) ... but today on my last day my heart is a bit torn... I walked along Copacabana listening to awesome classic music... 'Not fade away' (Rolling Stones), 'Rock the casbha' (The Clash) etc etc... My heart is heavy as I look at the sun and the beach, the music rolling around my mind with the memories of this trip... People ask me about my favorite places I've been, ask me what I am going to do next, and I hear them talk about their next destinations... I give advice and give the vague answers about my future... I'm torn because I've loved this trip... I've had some moments that just make me want smile and shed a tear when I think back, moments of true joy, moments I'll never forget... and even last night I met new and wonderful people... I shared my stories from Joe's St.Petersburg mishap, to trains through Russia, to travelling down Vietnam, and beach residence in Koh Chang... but as I heard about their future plans I wasn't envious or jealous... although I'm nervous about setting a new and different route in life once I`m back in England, I'm content to be going back... there are family, friends, pets and places I need to be reunited with back home... I'm excited about it...

... My indecicivness makes me occasionally wonder if I made the right choices during my foray across the globe but really there are no wrong choices in this traveling game (well, within reason there are `no wrong choices`)... even last night I was worrying, should I watch a football game on my last night traveling or should I go for a meal with the Canadian/Italian girls I also know here... I went to the football to watch Ronaldinho's Flamengo against Horizonte, at the game met a great group of people, watched a poor game but also had a good time, went for a few beers after... just had a great time... choices during traveling are usually win-win... you can't do everything so just follow your gut, instinct, or advice you trust... I could have gone to Ilhe Grande instead of Paraty (on the Brazilian East coast)... maybe Ilhe Grande would have been great but Paraty was great and I met awesome people... At the game I met Tom a Londoner who I could impart my footballing knowledge unto and feel like a bit of a football-yoda... Laura-Noel, a Canadian originally from Uruguay who shared my unrelenting joy for Montevideoian football... and also Victor the Dane who had a story about everything and Steve the gregarious American... it was great, even if the game was crap and Ronaldinho was an eternal dissapointment...

... But back to my emotions today... everything is too recent for me to say what was the best thing I did or place I visited... I'll reflect upon it and it'll be the post-script/epilogue... but I wanted to get some of the raw feelings down here before they disappear and I forget them forever as I return to the real world... I'm tired today after 6 hours of fitful drunken sleep (after a nice cheeky pint or two with my friends from the game:) and this makes me feel sadder about leaving (lack of sleep makes me grumpy or emotional) but in a weird oxymorionic way I'd feel sad if I didn't feel sad about leaving... its a sign of a time I loved, to feel sad that it's ending... but as they say, 'onwards and upwards'...

... I'll write my recomendations, my highlights, the things I miss and need to do again, the places I would avoid and those I didn't explore enough... but that's for the epilogue... after I've settled down back at home and actually make sense of what I've done and where I've been... for now I'll end what is probably my last post on the blog from foreign shores (I might add more if I get especially bored or inspired at the airport) with some photos from my last two days... ... ... ... and while I remember I need to say thank you to you for reading this, for being in contact, for sending little messages... I've loved doing this blog and I'm glad some people have enjoyed it... its made my trip even better having the chance to write things down and share them with you good people in this blogging medium... ... ... ... Thank You! ... :) 

Lapa and Santa Teresa

Fancy steps... all made with tiles by one local individual... nice:)
Rio football fans... low in numbers but the flag to fan ratio is high!

Your humble narrator:)

Copacabana

Ipenema

Ok, so I'm in Copacabana... but where exactly am I?

Oh Flavelas, don't be so shy... peering around the posh buildings like a nervous child... join the party!
P.S. If anyone is interested, in the game I watched Flamengo drew 1-1 with Horizonte... So my 100% record is truly gone... but on reflection, 9 games, 7 wins, a draw and a loss... I'll take that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment